Today I’m going to share with you my “Summoning the Muse” ritual that I’ll be performing every day in August as part of the #DoMagick Challenge for August 2018. For those of you who are creatives, I encourage you to join in with me and see if this little ritual makes a difference in your inspiration and creative productivity for the month.
- Begin by opening the temple, saying any prayers, and invoking any spirits whose influence, guidance, or wisdom you need.
- Next, do a series of deep stretches for 5-10 minutes. A series of yoga Sun Salutations would work nicely here. This is a morning ritual so the stretching should get the blood flowing and the body moving – warming up both body and mind. Focusing on the breath is important here because the point is to be present.
- Take several deep breaths. By several, I mean 3-5.
- Hold your arms outstretched above you – “Oh glorious morning, draw the suns light to shine down on me, filling me with the flames of Sorath that I am successful in my creative endeavors today.” While saying this, imagine the morning light filling you with energy and vitality. Draw it into your chest until your chest feels full, then allow that light to radiate outward through your body and into your extremities.
- Now hold your arms in front of you. “Muse, come forth and embrace me. Fill me with inspiration.” Imagine your muse as its own energy or power source taking form in front of you. You can draw the energy from this externally, from the light, or internally, from the energy you’ve just raised to create this being. Don’t worry if you choose the latter because you’ll be drawing it back into yourself. Imagine this being of light, the muse (your imagination can fill in the blanks), coming toward you, embracing you, and filling you with its warmth and mental energy – all the while staying focused on the creative tasks you have planned for the day. Embrace your muse and draw it into you.
- Cross your arms over your chest. “I am as Ptah, who flows through me and works through my hands to create. I am connected with the Demiurge.”
- Drop your hands to your side. “It is done.”
- Now sit comfortably and do your daily meditation, or focus on your creative endeavors for the day, for at least ten minutes. Be present and observe your thoughts. If your mind wanders, that’s okay.
- Technically you don’t have to construct a ritual space around this ritual, but if you have, you can close the ritual and go about your day. If you haven’t constructed a ritual space, then no need to close it. Just go about your day.
Simple, right? There is an energy work purpose to all the movement in the ritual. I’ve developed this around all the other daily work I have going on, and I’m looking forward to seeing what results I get from it. Feel free to modify it to incorporate your own needs. Whether you’re participating in the #DoMagick challenge or not, if you do choose to do this ritual with me, let me know how it goes in the comments to one of my daily posts. I would love to hear others’ results.