I am laughing at the title of today’s blog. I have been wanting to write a post on magick for this month and just haven’t found a good topic. So I hopped on over to HubSpot’s handy dandy Blog Topic Generator, threw in the words “Demon” and “Magick” and it gave me 5 potential blog topic headlines and this was number four. I couldn’t resist.
Being someone who is often consulted about magick, I am definitely of the school of thought that magick should not be used indiscriminately or for stupid reasons. I’m not one to use magick for every little situation that comes up because I tend to save magick for the important stuff. The big stuff.
As a consultant, I have a lot of people come to me asking about magick to help them get laid. That’s not a good reason to perform magick in my opinion. However, building one’s self esteem so (s)he can have the confidence to go out and meet someone — that IS a good reason. It’s the difference between giving someone a fish or teaching them how to fish. The latter being a more productive use of one’s time imho.
Other silly reasons to use magick might include winning the lottery, getting your co-worker in trouble because you don’t like him, trying to get a snow day, raising a tempest just to see if you can, and so on. None of those things will be lasting, so they’re pretty pointless.
So – without further ado, I give you 10 signs you should invest (your time) in magick – and by this I mean good reasons to spend your time working magick.
1. You need support or confidence to do something or you need to create opportunity in your life. Magick can help you build the support and confidence necessary to help you manifest your will. It can also help bring opportunities to the forefront. Of course whether you take those opportunities is up to you and your self-confidence.
2. You need focus. Magick is a great tool to help teach us to focus on what we truly want and need in our lives.
3. You need discipline. Believe it or not — working magick, proper magick, requires discipline and what better way to hone discipline than to practice it? Just like, as a writer, I practice writing something every day, a good magician can find ways to practice every day, even in small ways, to cultivate discipline. Check out my post on establishing a daily practice.
4. Your attention to detail lacks and you’d like to strengthen it. Studying magick, especially ceremonial magick, can exercise one’s attention to detail because there are so many details. If you love details, look no further. Magick has a lot of them. If you hate details, try focusing on some of the finer details of magick. Like planetary hours and astrological influences. That will help hone your detail spotting skills.
5. You need to change your way of thinking. Magick, in many ways, can be used to change the world around you by changing the way you look at things. Not to mention it often requires practitioners to think outside the box.
6. You need to change the path your life is heading. I suppose this goes back to #5 because in order to change our lives, we need to change ourselves. Oftentimes, when life sucks, it’s because we’re stuck in unproductive cycles or patterns (usually negative thought patterns) and it’s up to us to change those patterns and redirect our lives. Magick can be a useful tool to that end.
7. You need to remove negative influences from your life. Magick can be a wonderful tool for removing negative influences whether they be situations or people, or people. Did I mention people? You’ve heard the quote — “Instead of thinking you’re depressed, first make sure you’re not surrounding yourself with assholes.” ?? (Can’t remember who said it…) Yeah – a little warding and some “asshole revealing work” will often cure an asshole problem quickly. Also – removing yourself from bad situations/relationships works, too. This also includes #6 because the negativity in our lives can be part of a pattern. Kind of like abused individuals always end up finding abusers to hook up with… sometimes we get stuck in a pattern of surrounding ourselves with negative people. Find the pattern, stop repeating it, break the cycle. And so it goes…
8. You need to find strength in something larger than yourself. Like the universe. Or a god-form. No, you don’t need magick to pray or get closer to a god form, but magick can help you manifest the god-self within, and find your connection to all that is (i.e. the god(s) of your understanding). That’s not such a bad thing.
9. You need to wise counsel or guidance. Magick can help facilitate and give voice to the divine intelligence (Daemonic) and our own intuition.
10. You need rebirth. There are times in life that we all come to a crossroads. Whether it’s marriage, the first baby, death of a loved one, loss of a job, divorce, mid-life crisis, terminal illness, menopause, or any of a plethora of life altering changes a human can go through. Magick can help you get through it by helping you keep focus, find your true will, and it can be used to path-work your way through unknown territory.
I could have added You want to create the life you want to that list, too, since that is the biggest reason people resort to magick to begin with. Magick is really all about manifesting your true will and creating your own reality by being the master of your life. I guess it’s really 11 signs. Ha! So there you have it –
10 11 Signs You Should Invest in Magic. Who knew the random blog topic generator would come up with such amusing blogging fodder.
What say all of you? Did you enjoy this post? Or should I stick to rants and random babbles?