One of the big debates that always crops up in indie publishing and small press circles is whether or not to do pre-orders. There are a lot of pros to pre-ordering, and maybe a few cons IMO.
- Readers know what’s coming and when it’s coming. (Builds a more loyal following.)
- Ensures new readers can find upcoming books in a series.
- Automates the release process.
- Creates a definitive release schedule and deadlines for the authors .
- Authors don’t get the boost in sales rank from a long pre-order.
- Pre-orders can put undo stress on an author who hasn’t “written ahead” meaning the author could be one illness or unexpected situation away from missing a deadline and losing pre-order privileges
. So now I’m curious what READERS think.