All the Frauds and Impostors are… Not?

It seems everywhere I look there’s a writer somewhere blogging about how (s)he’s an impostor, a fraud. Hell, I don’t recollect but it’s very possible I’ve written a similar post in the past.

I was reading another one earlier and it occurred to me that it’s silly to feel that way. First of all, all the writers who write posts like this are actually published authors and they write constantly. The “I’m a fraud” posts are often the result of popularity for what you write. Most writers are their own toughest critics so we see every glaring flaw in everything we write. So when something we write becomes popular we immediately detach with that feeling, “This is surreal, it can’t be true.”  Then, many writers start nitpicking their work to death trying to find all the reasons it shouldn’t be popular and all the reasons the masses should hate it instead of love it. I think that way of thinking is often the case with creative types.

So here’s to my writing brethren out there:

1. If you’re writing and writing is like breathing to you – you’re not a fraud or impostor.
2. If you’re completing projects continually and actively submitting them – you’re not a fraud or impostor.
3. If you’re published and have more stories, books, etc… on the back burner — you’re not a fraud or impostor.

Hell, I don’t know that we can say anyone who writes is a fraud or impostor. If you’re writing, you’re technically a writer. Though there’s a difference between a professional writer and a hobbyist. Hobbyists write for fun or passion, or they self publish a book or two (simply because that’s all they have in them) but they don’t have what it takes to be a professional writer. This probably describes 85 percent of the writers out there.  The other 15 percent are people who actually make a livable, taxable income writing and who are so prolific that they’re never short of a project. The funny thing is it’s always the people in the latter category who I see writing the “I’m a fraud…” posts.

You guys are funny.

About Steph

Steph is an award winning and bestselling author of thrilling steamy and paranormal romances, dark urban fantasy, occult horror-thrillers, cozy mysteries, contemporary romance, sword and sorcery fantasy, and books about the esoteric and Daemonolatry. A Daemonolatress and forever a resident of Smelt Isle, she is happily married and cat-mom to three pampered house cats. Her muse is a demanding sadistic Dom who often keeps her up into the wee hours of the morning. You can contact her at swordarkeereon@gmail.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

What is 7 + 7 ?
Please leave these two fields as-is:
IMPORTANT! To be able to proceed, you need to solve the following simple math (so we know that you are a human) :-)